SFE partners with district communities
to promote healthy lives
SFE partners with district communities to promote healthy lives
SFE’s goal is to become an integral part of your community, encouraging wellness and supporting you in what matters most to you and your district.
Our community partnerships include:
- Career Fairs and development alliances
- Student achievement recognition
- Nutrition Advisory Boards
- Culinary classes
- Local business events and fundraising
- Local sustainability services
- Local farm partnerships
- Commitment to the use of 20%+ plant-based foods in partnership with the U.S. Humane Society
- Onsite student garden and composting
- Wellness committees
- Head start programs
SFE works to promote a healthy planet
At SFE, we support sustainability in a number of ways, including:
- Utilizing local vendors to reduce carbon footprint
- Minimizing food waste through batch cooking and by serving meals kids love to eat
- Supporting local farmers and growers through responsible sourcing practices
- Reducing the energy and costs associated with food processing by providing more fresh-from-scratch meals
- Sponsoring K-12 student sustainability gardens and “Garden Club” programs
- Presenting our district clients with multiple tray and plate options, including compostable choices
Animal Welfare Initiative
SFE responsibly sources meat-based proteins
Working in coordination with the Humane Society of the United States, SFE is actively improving the sourcing of our meat-based proteins to better protect animal welfare.
Our animal welfare initiatives include:
- Eggs: All SFE’s shell eggs are Cage-Free, and we are currently phasing-in all liquid eggs to Cage-Free status.
- Pork: We are working to move our pork supply to producers using sow group housing without the use of gestation crates.
- Veal: We eliminated veal produced with the use of veal crates from our supply chain in 2016.
- Dairy / Beef: We are addressing the issues of pain relief for animals, working to eliminate product from facilities where de-horning, tail docking and/or castration are practiced.
- Poultry: We are working with our producers and the Humane Society to address animal welfare issues associated with the fast growth of broiler chickens and turkeys.
SFE strengthens communities
From donating time and financial support that nourishes young dreams to stocking holiday food banks for families in need, SFE believes in giving back to the communities we serve.
Our giving back efforts include:
- Partnering with local food banks whenever possible
- Big Brothers Big Sisters sponsorship
- Make-A-Wish sponsorship
- Kaity’s Way sponsorship
- District culinary scholarships
- Support of local education foundations
Community awards and grants across our districts have included:
No Kid Hungry Award
Whole Kids Foundation Award (for sustainable garden projects)
Excellence in Summer Meals Award (gold level sponsor)
Turnip the Beet Award (USDA and FNS sponsored)
Fuel up to Play Award
DESE Equipment Grant
Partners for Breakfast in the Classroom Award
St. Louis Dairy Counsel Grant
Dollars for Dairy Award
Feeding Texas Grant ($2.6mm toward covering negative balances for students)
TDA Best of the Bunch Awards (for best local produce)
Farm Fresh Challenge Award
Local product challenge awards
Health Fair competitions
Jump with Jill Grant
Healthy School Hero Award
Texas Farm Fresh Challenge
Dairy Dollars by Dairy Max